Certificate Course Descriptions:
The Online Professional Certificate in Older Adult Personal Training and Group Exercise Training
program is an instructor led, web-based certificate designed to prepare graduating students for a career working with older adults at senior centers, medically-based fitness facilities, retirement communities, YMCA/JCC’s, hospitals, community wellness programs, personal training studios, physical therapy clinics, long-term care facilities, corporate fitness centers, collegiate settings, and private and commercial health clubs.
This certificate program has four required courses:
Course 1: Socio-Physiological Aspects of Aging
course will provide the student with a solid foundation in the social
and physiological aspects of aging. Topics covered include: theories of
aging; physiological changes within cells, organs, and bodily systems;
social implications of growing older; and common conditions and diseases
associated with aging. .
Course 2: Designing Older Adult Exercise Programs
course, students will gain an understanding of the role of exercise in
improving health, fitness, function and quality of life in older adults.
The current recommendations for cardiovascular, flexibility,
resistance, mobility and balance training will be discussed. An emphasis
will be given to common health conditions such as cardiovascular
disease, diabetes, arthritis and frailty.
Course 3: Business Management and Administration for the Mature Market
contemporary view of aging in this country will be explored to better
understand the current and rising aging cohorts. Through a study of
age-friendly facility design, equipment selection, fitness management,
marketing, administration, financial procedures and protocols, and
various aspects of operations students will appreciate how to attract,
serve and retain the mature market.
Course 4: Exercise and Aging for Special Populations
continuation of Designing Older Adult Exercise Programs, this course
encompasses a deeper study of designing safe and effective exercise
programs for older adults. Going beyond the basic exercise
recommendations for this population, students will, by the end of this
course, be able to design an appropriate fitness regimen taking into
consideration critical information such as a client’s age, gender,
health history, current health conditions and exercise history.
Course 5: Optional Elective - Field Internship in Older Adult Fitness
Prerequisite: 4 Core Courses and CPR Certification
This course is an optional course and is not required to receive the
Professional Certificate. Learn to work with professionals in the
fitness and health industry for a hands-on experience working with older
adults at senior fitness facilities and health centers. Students intern
for 60 total hours in this course.
Format of Online Program:
- The Program a self-paced, online distance education certificate that is an instructor facilitated program
- The Online Certificate program can be completed in the convenience of your own home, office, or classroom
- You have eight weeks per course of unlimited individual access to complete each course (pass rate required: 70% per course). In addition students have 2 full years to complete the 4 required courses.
- Online module quizzes and final certificate exam are automatically graded for immediate results
- Graduates will receive a certificate via email upon successfully completing the program and passing the required courses.
- Prerequisites: It is recommended that you are a current Certified Posture Specialist™, or have a personal training/fitness certification, or are a graduate/current student with a degree in exercise science, fitness, athletic training, physical therapy, or other related allied health/medical field
- Access courses from any Web browser
- Allows you to progress at your own pace through the online format
Online Program Requirements:
- A computer with email and internet connection
- Online students should have basic computer knowledge
Additional Course Materials: (Order information will be received after certificate registration)
Physical Activity Instruction of Older Adults, Authors; Jessie Jones and Debra Rose, eds., Human Kinetics, 2005.
National Posture Institute's Professional Series - The Complete Resistance Training Program (7 DVDs)
Our Refund Policy: Once you receive the access procedures for the course(s)/program(s) you registered for, NO refunds will be accepted.